You probably have lots of questions. Hopefully we can answer a few for you!

How do I become a TS1 student?

To book a viewing with us you can drop into our office or call us on 01642 245796. You can also enquire via our website or even message our facebook page.

Once you have booked a viewing, we will show you all available properties that suit your requirements.

To reserve a property you will pay a £50 reservation fee.

We will then start the application processes, which can be completed easily online via email.

Once the application process is complete, we will send you a tenancy agreement to review and sign.

How can I view a property?

To book a viewing with us you can drop into our office or call us on 01642 245796. You can also enquire via our website or even message our facebook page.

We can offer video viewings for anyone that is not in the area.

What is the £50 reservation fee? Is it refundable?

You will be asked to pay £50 to reserve your room.

This forms part of your overall deposit of £250* with a guarantor.

If you pull out of an application on a property this £50 is non refundable after 14 days.

Do I have to pay a deposit?

Yes, all tenants need to pay a deposit.

£250 with a UK based guarantor.

5 Weeks rent without a guarantor.

Deposits are protected with the TDS.

Is my deposit refundable?

Deposits are refundable at the end of the tenancy.

Deposits are used for any potential cleaning/damages at the end of the tenancy.

What if I want to cancel my reservation?

You can cancel your reservation IF you do not have a signed contract. Your £50 would be refundable within 14 days of paying, if it is later than 14 days, the reservation fee is non-refundable.

If you have a signed contract, the only option to leave is IF your landlord offers to find a suitable replacement to take over your contract, or offers you a buy out fee. Your contract is a fixed term contract so your landlord does not have to give you either of these options.

A suitable replacement would be as follows -

  • Must be a full time student
  • Must pass all right to rent checks.
  • Must be willing to pay the exact rent and tenancy length as you have signed for.
  • Ideally have a UK based guarantor.

What is a guarantor?

To put it simply, a guarantor is someone who agrees to pay your rent if you don't pay it, for example; a parent or close relative.

A Guarantor must live and work in the UK and have at least 3 years address history in the UK, and ideally earn 3 x the annual rent amount.

What if I don't have a guarantor?

If you do not have a UK based guarantor, you will be required to pay 5 weeks rent as a deposit.

How long can I stay for?

Standard contracts are 52 Weeks. If you wish to shorten the term, rent may increase slightly.

A Minimum contract we can accept is 6 Months, depending on the property.

What bills are included?

Gas, Electric, Water, WIFI.

TV Licence is also included in properties where a TV is provided.

For 1-2 beds the weekly allowance for gas and electricity is £14 per person per week.

For 3+ beds the weekly allowance for gas and electricity is £10 per person per week.

Moving in?

You can move in on or after your tenancy start date.

You must make a move appointment with us prior to collecting keys.

How do I pay my rent?

Rent can be paid monthly, or termly to coincide with your student loan dates.

Rent can be paid via bank transfer, in the office using our card machine, or by cash.

What happens if my student loan is late?

If you are having issues with your student finance, you must inform us immediately and keep us updated.

We will also require any evidence you have from the university.

We are happy to work with you as long as you communicate with us.

What should I do if I have maintenance?

Please report any maintenance immediately to TS1 Students, you can do this by calling our office, emailing us or dropping into the office. Ideally do this via email, so we have a written record on both ends.

We will then arrange for maintenance to attend on the next available date depending on the seriousness of the issue.

What is the out of hours emergency number?

07401309501 - This number is only to be used in the case of an emergency.

If Maintenance is called out to a non-emergency issue, you will incur a call out fee.

What about parking?

Most streets in TS1 will come with on-street parking, you can apply for a residents permit for your property free of charge, with Middlesbrough council. Please see link below for more info

How do I get an Alley Gate key?

You may need an alley gate key to access the bins for your property.

Alley gate keys are obtained from The customer centre at Middlesbrough house.

You need to attend with two forms of identification (your tenancy agreement would be one as proof of address).

An £8 deposit is required, which will be refunded when the key is returned to the council. All keys must be returned to Middlesbrough house in order to receive the money back.

The Customer Centre is located off Corporation Road and Elm Street in central Middlesbrough. The full address is: Middlesbrough House, Elm Street, Middlesbrough, TS1 2DA.

What is council tax?

Council tax is a local tax, which helps the council pay for the services they provide.

Students are exempt from paying council tax for the duration of their study. You will receive an exemption certificate from the University, this is usually found on your university e-vision account and will be issued once your course has started.

Once you receive your council tax exemption certificate, you must upload it onto the council's website to show that you are exempt, or take it to the council along with a copy of your tenancy agreement.

If your council tax exemption certificate expires whilst you are still in tenancy, you will be responsible to pay the council tax.

Non students are liable for paying council tax.

You will find more info on the Middlesbrough Council Website.

Are pets allowed?

Only if agreed with the landlord prior to the tenancy starting. This will need to be confirmed in writing.

This is totally dependent on the individual landlord and property.

Am I allowed guests?

Yes, for a maximum stay of 3 nights a week.

If you are sharing with housemates, please ensure they are aware and happy with the arrangement.

Is insurance included?

No, we would advise all students to look at getting their own personal contents insurance.

Can couples rent a room?

This is completely dependent on the individual property, size of the room and whether there is a HMO licence in place.

Moving out?

You are responsible for paying rent up until your tenancy end date. You can move out on, or before this date.

We expect the property to be as you found it when you moved in.

Please ensure all personal belongings are removed and the property has been thoroughly cleaned prior to handing in your keys.

You must hand in all keys for the property.

How do I get my deposit back?

Once your tenancy is complete and you have handed in your keys, we will carry out a 'check out' inspection to assess any damages/cleaning charges etc.

This report will then be emailed to you with any deductions, if applicable.

We will then request your bank details to refund your deposit.

We have up to 14 working days to get back to you with the findings of your check out.

Should you have any disputes that we can not agree on, you can dispute with the TDS.